10 Great Songs You Probably Don't Know


There are a lot of great songs out there. We hear them on the radio every day. But what about those songs you don’t hear on the radio? Artists often have albums full of great songs we never hear unless we buy them. There are also lesser known artists to whom many people are never exposed. I realized there are quite a few songs I enjoy by either well or lesser known artists that many people might not know. I thought I’d share a few.

1.       As Angels Cry- Corey Smith- “As they watch me fall, the angels cry. Because they understand my pain and they’ve seen the blood spilled in the battles of my life.” Unless you grew up in northern Georgia, there’s a good chance you’ve never heard of Corey Smith. He’s a local artist and former resident of Zac Brown’s hometown, Dahlonega. As Angels Cry is one of my favorite Corey Smith songs. This song is about the struggles of life and a person’s relationship with God.

2.       A Drop in the Ocean- Ron Pope- “I can’t let you be. Most nights I hardly sleep. Don’t take what you don’t need from me.” If you watch ‘The Vampire Diaries’, you may have heard the next two songs, as they were featured in seasons 2 and 3. A Drop in the Ocean is a bittersweet ballad about… well, it’s open to interpretation. To me it’s about a man who feels he may have lost the woman he loves. Awesome song.

3.       I Should Go- Levi Kreis “I should go, before I lose my sense of reason and this hour holds more meaning than it ever could.” This song will always remind me of Damon Salvatore and his werewolf bite. But for those who don’t care a bit about vampires, this song is about old lovers who are tempted to reconnect but have others in their lives to consider.

4.       Prince of Nothing Charming- Tyler Hilton “Here comes the part where only you can understand me. Like cigarettes and candy, baby.” Oh, Tyler Hilton. For those familiar with ‘One Tree Hill’, you know exactly who I’m talking about. If not, you should get on that. Prince of Nothing Charming is only one of many great songs you’ll find on his albums.

5.       Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon- Backstreet Boys “I was captured by that stare. Now I’m shattered but I don’t care. And the people walking by don’t have a clue.” If you were a girl between the ages of 8 and 20 in the late 90’s then you know at least one, if not 30 Backstreet Boys songs. But this is one you may not recognize. Off of the album ‘Unbreakable’, Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon is something a bit different for the boys I love so much.

6.       Through With You- Maroon 5 “Can you see me, floating above your head, as you lay in bed thinking about everything that you did not do, cause saying I love you has nothing to do with meaning it.” Back before he was the sexiest man alive, Adam Levine was singing his heart out and winning me over. ‘Songs About Jane’ is one of my favorite albums ever. Through With You is a lesser known song off of the album (which also featured hits This Love, She Will Be Loved and Harder to Breathe) but it’s equally fantastic.

7.       I Just Can’t Live a Lie- Carrie Underwood “I know I could say we’re through and tell myself I’m over you, but even if I made a vow, a promise not to miss you now, and try to hide the truth inside, I’d fail cause I just can’t live a lie.” Carrie’s had so many hits, I can’t count them on both hands. This song was not one of them, but is my favorite of her songs to date.

8.       Them Boys- Brantley Gilbert “Them boys don’t know one thing about life. True love and trouble, struggle or strife. They think it’s all just fun and games. Like laws and rules are balls and chains.” This song always makes me think of my brother and his friends when they were teenagers. I can just see old men sitting around talking about how much nonsense boys get into. Love this song.

9.       Damn This Rain- Matt Stillwell “Damn these tears, damn this pain. I was making good time, leaving you behind, damn this rain.” Matt Stillwell was the opening act for Colt Ford at a concert I attended once. This is my favorite song of his.

10.   Cheating Jesus- Telluride “So we pray, God, give us the strength to make it through one more day. Then maybe we could see the truth.” This is a song about a relationship/marriage that is falling apart and a man’s desire to fix things. Telluride opened for Billy Currington once and we actually got to meet the band after the show. They have at least one album out that I know of, but I haven’t actually heard anything from them in a while.



~Mallory

Comments

Popular Posts