Movie of the Week- Teen Witch

Teen Witch- 1989- PG-13


“You have the power to make anything you want happen.”

Never heard of Teen Witch? Well, you’re not alone. Every time I quote this movie or try to talk to my friends about it, I’m met with the same ‘huh, what movie are you talking about’ look. Given, this movie was a bit before my generation watched anything but cartoons, but people love 80’s movies. Breakfast Club anyone? Also, Wikipedia says this movie is a cult classic, which means people should know about it. So if you are one of those unfortunates that do not, read on my friends.

Synopsis: High school student Louise Miller (Robin Lively) longs to be popular, but that seems like a pipe dream. On the eve of her 16th birthday, Louise stumbles upon a magic shop run by a woman named Madame Serena (Zelda Rubinstein). The woman tells Louise that she is a witch and you know she’s trustworthy if she has Madame before her name. Louise is skeptical but takes this really cool necklace from Serena and ventures off. (I am in the market for one of these necklaces right now if anyone knows a guy.)
 
As it turns out, Louise does develop powers on her birthday. And what should you do with magical powers in high school? Um, make yourself popular of course. Louise decides to use her magic to become the most popular girl ever and stick it to those already stuck up cheerleaders. Her main goal is winning over Mr. Popular himself, Brad (Dan Gauthier- jerk from Son in Law), but she learns some valuable lessons about life, love and friendship in the process. It’s inspirational, really.

By far, the two best aspects of this movie are the songs and the fashion. When I was a kid, I wanted to dress just like popular Louise. Colorful tutus, blue jean everything, heels with socks… Not to mention the big hair and clunky accessories. Yes please. And the soundtrack… I still find myself singing Top That from time to time. Wasn’t that the coolest scene when Polly totally out-rapped Rhet? 

I don’t generally like movies, TV, books about witches, but this is one of the few exceptions. (That and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I mean, come on, every girl wished they were her in the 90’s.) Maybe you won’t like this movie as much as I do, but you should still watch it. Cult classic, people. Cult classic.




~Mallory

Comments

Popular Posts