Tuesday Tune-in Blake Shelton


In the newest addition of Tuesday Tune-in, I will be reviewing Blake Shelton's new album "Based on a True Story. I love Blake. He is the main reason I watch "The Voice." I think he is hilarious, but I also think he is a very genuine person. When I heard, "Sure Be Cool If You Did," the first single off this album, I loved it immediately. I heard the second released single "Boys 'Round Here" the morning I wrote this blog on the way to work. It was less impressive, but it's alright. Anyway, on to reviewing this album... wait, I just noticed how tall Blake looks on the album cover. Gosh, he's tall anyway, but this is crazy, he looks like a giant. He is only an inch shorter than Michael Jordan (my standard person to measure tallness against), so he is up there. Oh yeah, music.

1. Boys 'Round Here- This is the second single off "Based on a True Story." This has been met with love and hate from the country music world. I can understand that because some country music fans are mired in the old country and western style of music. This song doesn't fit that bill. This is probably even a step beyond modern country because it has some elements that remind people of rap music, which is totally fine with me. One of my favorite country artists is a rapper named Colt Ford, and though he is loved by many country fans, he has yet to really break into the country music mainstream. This song reminds me of a lot of boys 'round my neck of the woods and a lot of the girls too to be honest. A lot of country folks are just looking to have a good time and make the most of life which is basically what the lyrics describe in this song. This song has backing vocals from the Pistol Annies, one of which is Blake's wife Miranda. The song on the actual album does contain some cussing, which is definitely counter culture to country music. Blake could do without the cussing in this song, but people from the country do cuss (gasp) and overall I don't find it offensive. I do know lots of people that would, though. I like Boys 'Round Here and think it is a great song on the whole.
Boys will be boys
2. Sure Be Cool If You Did- I love this song. I know some people don't like it because of the lyrics or this that or the other, but I like the lyrics and the backing track. Some of Blake's songs sound like getting picked up in a bar, and this song is no exception. That is its mission though, so, take it for what it is. This song is reminiscent of "Drink On It," but I like this song better. The line he is using to pick this woman up is not really sleazy and is sort of creative.

3. Do You Remember- This entry is about remembering times past. There was a time when the singer and this woman were in love, seemingly over a summer. He is looking back fondly on those moments and wondering if she remembers them too. Overall, this is a decent song. It's not really much to write home about, but it would be good for when you are feeling reminiscent about a lost love. Music is slow enough to make you feel the sort of sadness he feels.

Do you remember when Blake's hair looked like this?
4. Small Town Big Time-This is about life in a small town and details how you can have fun in the south without a lot. This is fairly true of living in the south. Though not much of a "partier" myself, I know that people actually go out in fields and throw down and have an awesome time. This song makes these parties and small town living sound pretty cool. Blake misses these times now that he is out in Los Angeles a lot (filming The Voice and what not). The backing track is fun and would make for a good party anthem. I like this song.

5. Country On The Radio- This song is also about living in the south. Basically, it is describing living life like a country song. This song is somewhat confusing and I have tried to unearth something to say about it. It is slow paced like a night of sitting around a campfire listening to country music (specifically George Strait per the song). I like the song... or I think I do.

6. My Eyes feat. Gwen Sebastian- This song is about ogling your lover. I'm not really sure why this isn't a duet with Miranda. This Gwen Sebastian is ok, but I'm not as keen on her voice. She is not country enough for me or for Blake. Basically, this is a foreplay song. "My eyes are the only thing I don't want to take off of you." This is a good song, though the "come a little closer"s over and over at the end diminish the song a little. Just end the song and rip her clothes off Blake! On the whole this is a decent song for being with your Luvah (apply your own lecherous stare here).

7. Doin' What She Likes- I do not like the non-chorus backing music on this song. It reminds me of a 60's or 70's sitcom. Otherwise this song is about making Miranda Lambert happy because she will set you on fire or shoot you if you don't. Just kidding. But seriously. This is a song where he details different things that make his woman happy and how it makes him happy to make her happy. Blake Shelton is a smart man. Also, he is probably familiar with Miranda's music. This is a nicer way of saying I love making my baby happy because if I don't she might kill me and I like being alive. This is a pretty good song, but I am having some major issues with the backing track. It sounds like a talking guitar, but not a bad a$$ one like Richie Sambora has, like one they gave to Peter, Paul, and Mary or the Mamas and the Papas.
Note the fire... feel the burn.

8. I Still Got A Finger- This song is sort of like a 2010's version of take this job and shove it. The narrator is fed up with his idiot of a boss, so he's giving him the one-finger salute. This has an upbeat backing track, that I quite enjoy. Overall, I like the song. It's a good song for when you feel overworked and underpaid or when you're leaving on Friday afternoon, heading to the bar. It's a feel better song about working for the man basically. It can be a working person's anthem.

9. Mine Would Be You- This song is about someone making your life better because they are everything to you. He loves everything about her and she is his world. It describes several different scenarios that are somewhat random. It describes the joy and the pain of having someone in your life that comprises such a large part of your being. It's the about loving someone who makes you so happy and who has brought you so much happiness and then the complete and utter loss you feel when they leave. I really like this song even though it too is hard to describe. This song has a slower backing track so you can appreciate the romantic nature of the first part and then relate to the sadness at the end. I think this song will speak to a lot of different people for one reason or another.

10. Lay Low- Ever have those lazy days where you just stay at home and enjoy each other's company? That's exactly what this song is about. There's not really that much to say about it. Unlike some of the other songs on the album, it is really and truly self-explanatory. The backing track is sort of melodic. To me, this song is alright. I am more of a goer and a doer than a stay at homer. Other than that, it's a good song.

11. Ten Times Crazier- Blake is crazy about all kinds of stuff... hunting, fishing, watching football, but he is ten times crazier about Miranda. I like this song even though it reminds me a little of Eric Church's "Love Your Love the Most" shh don't tell Miranda. This song is more fun than Eric's though because it has a happier backing track and it is just fun as opposed to being more slow and meaningful. This is like "hey, I love a bunch of stuff, but I love you more. Just letting you know." That's my kind of love. This is an awesome song. It would make a good single.

12. Grandaddy's Gun- This song pretty much tells the story of a gun that Blake has that used to belong to his Grandaddy. For southerners, having a gun passed down to you is a big deal. They are passed down from generation to generation. I have a gun my Paw Paw left me. It's a .22 chipmunk rifle and it is still my favorite gun to this day. I learned to shoot on that gun and I have killed a few squirrels with it in my day. That gun is one of the few pieces of my Paw Paw I still have left with me even though he's been gone about 20 years now. This song represents my gun as well. You never know what kind of stories could have come out of that gun. This is a good song that I feel like a lot of people can relate to.

13. I Found Someone- This song is mysterioso. Haha. Initially, you think he has moved on and met someone new. Then, at the end of the song, we find out that the "someone" he found was himself. When you go through a breakup, or even when you are in a relationship, it's easy to lose yourself in another person and forget to be who you are. This song describes the coming back around after the fall. Blake lost his love and it hurt, but eventually, he found himself again. This is a good song. It's a good breakup song, it's a good feeling better song. It really captures finding yourself again and learning to live without the person who made you complete for so long. The backing music is slow so you know it isn't really a happy song.

14. Frame Of Mine- She's gone, but her picture isn't. The picture is a constant reminder of what you had and what you lost and takes you back to a place you probably don't want to be in... but you can't stop looking at it. This is sort of like Dierks Bentley's "Wish It Would Break" but they both have their merits and are different. Blake misses whoever has left him, but he is still hanging on to a picture of them that he just can't seem to get rid of. It is painful when someone leaves and to have reminders of them makes it worse, but you also want them back so you cling to the vestiges of them you have. The backing track is good country and western music and it is slow to accentuate the heartache. I like this song, but it is not one of my favorites on the album.
Oh Adam, those two chairs Midas Whale be a mile.
On the whole, Based on a True Story is a great album. It can be a bit confusing at times, but those are the times when you just let the music speak to you in whatever way it can. We all know Blake drinks a lot so that's probably partially the alcohol talking... but talking from the heart. I really like Blake and I think this is a good album. I would recommend it for sure.

-Courtney

Comments

Popular Posts