Allegiant: Something Heart-Wrenching This Way Comes

Warning: This blog contains spoilers for every book I’ve ever read. (Not really. Namely just books by Charlaine Harris, Veronica Roth, Suzanna Collins, Nicholas Sparks, and Scott Westerfeld.)


I’ve always thought of myself as the kind of would-be-author who doesn’t give a crap about what others think of my stories. I’ll end it however I want… kill anyone and everyone. (If I could ever finish any stories that be.) But lately, I’m just not so sure. Could I really pull in the fans with exciting plots and inspiring romances and then crush the dreams right out of them with a devastating ending? Maybe. But I do not appreciate when this is done to me. Hypocritical? Yes. But true nonetheless.

I admire authors like Charlaine Harris who take their stories in directions that some or even most fans may not like, because they, as the author, have a vision and are sticking to it. I can generally appreciate these choices though I may not always agree with them. Let us revisit the Aurora Teagarden series wherein my favorite male character turned into a cheating scumbag very early on and there was no going back. I suppose for most fans the devastating moment in that series was when her hubby’s weak heart gave out on him. Fans were upset and, as they tend to do, spoke out in anger at this. I imagine quite a few people spoke out in anger at the end of the Sookie Stackhouse series as well. I am not one of those people as I was pretty over-the-moon happy about that (Team Sam!) but I can understand why people were upset as they had 12 books to attach themselves to Bill and Eric.

Nicholas Sparks is the master of tear-jerkers. I have cried reading almost every Nicholas Sparks book I’ve ever picked up. I’ve loved some, liked others and there is even one or two I could have lived without. But there’s always some kind of happiness lingering in the tears and I usually feel satisfied upon completing a book even if I am sad. For example, in the book The Rescue, the main character (Taylor) struggles to find the kind of life his best friend has: a wife, kids, general happiness. He finds that in Denise and her son Kyle. When Taylor is being a jerk and trying to sabotage his own self, his best friend calls him out and they fight. Then they both get called to a fire (as they are firemen) and the amazing family man with two small kids doesn’t make it out, leaving Taylor saddened but determined to win back Denise. So though we all cry tears for the loss, we are still happy that Taylor and Denise live happily ever after. Same goes for most of his novels. Someone dies (even a main character like in A Walk to Remember) but we can still feel unexplained happiness and satisfaction in a great story.

Suzanne Collins broke our hearts when she decided to kill Finnick, leaving his poor, slightly crazy, wife and new born baby on their own. And taking Katniss’ sister Prim was just cruel. From the beginning, Katniss’ motivation was to save her sister but, in the end, she fails to do it. Even though they beat the Capitol, it still feels like a failure. The series ends with Katniss and Peeta doing their best to live, though they are both damaged people. Despite all of this, we (or I anyway) feel a sense of satisfaction that Katniss is still able to overcome and live despite the pain and heartache.

One of the few times I have actually genuinely considered throwing a book across a room was when I read Specials, the final book in the Uglies trilogy. In Pretties, I developed a liking for Zane, the rebellious pretty who won over Tally. Though, I confess I was convinced that Zane and David were the same person for a while. Regardless, I liked Zane a lot and then in frickin Specials he frickin died and I was pretty dang mad about it. The only thing that kept me from throwing my book was that it happened to be a Nook book that I was reading on my phone and throwing phones never ends well for anyone. This series had quite the unsatisfying ending. The only good thing about it was Tally did not end up with David either. Scott Westerfeld pretty much ruined my day with that one.

BUT none of those compare to the sadness and depression I am feeling right at this very moment. I feel like I may even still be in a state of shock over the ending of Allegiant, the final book in the Divergent series. I feel like Veronica Roth just shoved a stake through my heart. Perhaps that is a tad bit dramatic but you get the idea. I decided to write this blog because usually writing about things makes me feel better. This is why I sometimes write fanfiction. I may be doing that next.

So many times in books, TV shows, and movies, I haven’t enjoyed the ending because I didn’t get my way as far as romance goes. But this time, I thought, there really wasn’t a way for that to happen because there was really only one main romance and no underdogs to cheer for. Little did I speculate that something else would jump in a ruin everything.

Here is me, reading this book, wondering who all will die… NEVER EVER did I EVER think it would be Tris. The main freeking character!!! The person whose head we spent most of our time in. And perhaps that it what makes it so very devastating. We got to know this girl on the inside, saw her wants, fears and everything else. I didn’t always agree with everything she did but I really liked her character and loved how she stood defiant, doing everything she could to save everyone around her. She always came out the other side successful and I rooted for her always. I can still honestly not even believe what I have just read. CANNOT BELIEVE IT! I wish I could stay in the denial stage of my grief but I feel I have skipped right to depression. There shall be no accepting this!!

 
The ending would not have been as shocking if it had been say…anyone else who had died. I would have been sad to lose Four or Christina and even Peter but I would have been able to accept that I think. No doubt Four would have been the saddest because Tris has lost so many people but I still could have gotten over it eventually. But Tris? NO WAY! It’s like a huge mixture of sadness, disappointment, shock and anger. I don’t wanna be one of those crazies who starts threatening Veronica Roth but I would just like to ask her why. WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME? I’m not even as mad about it as I am just…depressed. As ridiculous as it sounds, when I read a book from first person POV I feel like I know them, even though they aren’t real. And losing that person just really sucks big time.
I will not be recommending this book series to any but mine enemies from here on out. I do not wish this heartbreak on anyone I like.

Can we just go back to book two and start over?

That would be great, thanks.

~Mallory



Update: I originally wrote this blog on October 25th soon after I finished reading Allegiant. I couldn't post it until now as Courtney had not read the book and I did not want to spoil the ending. Reading back over this blog made me laugh a bit. Now that I've had time to adjust and get over it (yes, I was in fact able to get over it) the whole thing doesn't seem that bad. I feel like I can appreciate what Ms. Roth did...a little. But for the record, it does help to write down things that bother you. :) 

Still not sure how often I'll be reccomending this book series to people tho. Not that it will matter when the movies come out. I have a feeling they'll be more Twilight and Hunger Games than Beautiful Creatures and I Am Number Four. Everyone will know about it all soon enough. 

Comments

Popular Posts