Thursday Throwdown- Sookie Stackhouse Edition



Courtney:
In alignment with the first Wednesday writes, or whatever it’s called (yeah we don’t even fully know the themes, so don’t worry if you don’t either), today’s Throwdown will be about who Sookie should end up with. We will present the pros and cons of each potential suitor, declare who we want to win, and predict who we think will win. Spoiler alert: we will probably mention some things you haven’t read about in Mallory reads yet, so if you want to wait and read her stuff and taint your mind with her team leanings, then quit now and read her posts through to the end. Don’t forget to come check this out though. We may incorporate things from the show and the books, but we will keep you up to speed and our predictions and choices may be different depending on the media outlet.
Mallory: I shall place all of my comments in red.

Sam Merlotte: Ahh Sam. Sam is a shifter, most commonly shifting into the form of a dog. However, on TB he has also taken the form of a fly and flown inside a guy and shifted back to human exploding the guy he was in. HA!!! It was hilarious. Anyway, on the show Sam looks like this:


This is not exactly how I picture book Sam. Book Sam is not quite as attractive as this Sam (Sam Trammell b-t-dubs. Yes Sam is played by Sam it’s all very ironic) in my opinion. That’s just because he’s almost a ginger in the books. Wait, I thought you were in to gingers? J

Pros: He is just really freaking awesome! He is nice, but he’s also a fighter. He owns his own business and has managed to keep it afloat despite many of his employees frequently being out (coughSookiecough). He has had terrible TB relationship luck as most of his girlfriends have died or just been crappy in general and should have died, yet somehow he keeps going. He is very attractive and gives Sookie the best shot at a mostly human life. Thanks to his shifter status, his thoughts are not overbearing on Sookie and come in staticy, which would mean the mind reading thing would not be too much of a burden. Most of these things are true for the book and the show, but in the books his relationships have not been quite as rocky. Though two women he dated in the books tried to kill Sookie, and one did kill him for a minute. As Sookie put it, He didn’t need a ferocious, anything for the packmaster kind of woman. He needed to be with a woman who thought he was the greatest man around (DITF). Like Sookie perhaps? In the books, and mostly in the show, Sam is always there for Sookie to bring her back to a less complicated more normal life. He is pretty much her best friend and truly loves her. Sookie also loves him, but alas they have a love of friendship. For now. But, at least in the books, we know there’s a physical attraction. Major plus side, he’s a freaking shifter. He can turn into anything. If he were mine, I would ask him to turn into a mini panda, because I have always wanted one. Imagine having a zoo full of pets at your disposal that would never even kill you. Also, dolphin for the pool!!! That’s money.

Cons: TB Sam has a craptastic family (flipside they are all dead now so it doesn’t really matter). TB Sam also seems to have been some sort of criminal in his former life pre-Bon Temps bar owner. Show Sam has a lot more anger issues than book Sam, who is mostly chill. Another con, that bar he owns has got to be in dire straits financially and being married to an entrepreneur can be a rough life (that’s my small business expertise coming in-C). Sookie seemed pretty psyched about becoming part owner of his business, though. Also, he isn’t a vampire, which is kind of a con because he can neither turn anyone into a shifter nor live forever. But, I’m pretty sure book Sookie will not become a vampire so she’s not going to live forever either. Show Sookie might, however.

Courtney: I predict that Sam has the second best shot of winning Sookie in the books. On the show, he’s pretty much second to last. I want book Sam to win second most and show Sam to win third most.

Mallory: I predict that book Sam will be the one Sookie chooses. This is what I want to happen (TEAM SAM!) but I also think it will happen. The two have grown closer since the beginning of the series. They’re best friends, they can depend on each other, and there is something between them that has never been explored. For more on why I think these two will end up together see my other upcoming blog: The Underestimation of Sam Merlotte. On the show… well, that’s trickier. I’m prone to liking Sam and Sookie on the show because I love them in the books. But, unlike the book series, the characters have not grown closer together since season one. They’ve actually seemed to grow apart. On the one hand, their relationship was left open at the end of season one and sometimes it seems like Sam still has feelings for Sookie so it’s hard to tell if they might get another shot. Right now I’m thinking show Sam probably won’t get the girl.


Alcide Herveaux: Listen, Alcide is one big, steaming hot, piece of man meat. Alcide is a werewolf of the Shreveport pack. This is important to know because it frequently plays an annoying role in show and book goings on. He looks like this on the show and I feel like this is pretty true to the book:




I know you are thinking ‘where is the hot steaminess?’ Right here:


Yes, I know there was only one shot of Sam and I know he wasn’t shirtless, but this is a throwdown and it isn’t about fairness it’s about laying the smack down on people. Also, it is about eye candy. And Alcide (aka Joe Manganiello) is the Ferrero Rocher of eye candy. He’s too sexy for his everything…

Pros: Alcide could offer Sookie a better chance of happiness and seemingly more normalcy than any of our vampire candidates and he could possibly give her children, which she seems to want in the books. He stays warm all the time, which is not really a necessity in southern Louisiana, but all the same, sometimes you want a warm man to cuddle with. He’s big and strong and manly, manly, manliness and he oozes sex appeal. I’m not shallow (yes I am) but you have to be attracted to your mate, and wolves mate for life (just saying when the divorce rate is 50% you don’t want to be another statistic). Also, he has been more than willing on several occasions to protect Sookie. In the books and in the show, he pretty much owns Herveaux Construction and he seems to be financially secure (in this economy, in construction, got to be in the mob). On the whole, despite having several moments where I was mad at him, Alcide is a pretty good dude. Agreed.

Cons: Though Alcide is not a vampire, he is deeply entrenched in wolfy affairs and keeps having to battle for pack supremacy. Seems like every other book he’s having to fight someone. It’s only really happened once on the show, but the whole wolf battle thing and leading the pack thing is weird quite frankly. In the books, he has almost passed the point of no return as far as being too deep into the wolf thing. I’m over him. In the show, he is enveloped in the wolf thing, but he still has Sookie on his mind. I agree. Book Alcide just seems to mostly annoy Sookie at this point. True Blood Alcide may still have a shot if he takes his shirt off a lot. Just sayin…

Courtney: I lust Alcide. I mean, I really like his muscles and his manly beard. Listen, he’s hot, that is obvious. However, I do think at times that Alcide would be a good match for Sookie. I think he has a strong shot on the show and is in fact the current frontrunner, but in the books he’s next to last. Here it is: at this point in time, I’m dunzo with book Alcide and hope he finishes dead last. However, I am somewhat leaning towards Alcide on the show. He’s tied for first.

Mallory: Book Alcide doesn’t stand a chance. I think he’s in last place as far as winning Sookie over. She’s never had a relationship with him and doesn’t seem to want one. On my list, Alcide comes in third. On the show, at least as of season 5, Alcide could potentially win Sookie’s affections. Hell, he’s already gotten more action than book Alcide ever got. I actually wanted the two to hook up last season. I’m interested to see where their relationship goes.


Eric Northman: My man! TEAM ERIC!!!!! Wait, this is just the synopsis. Eric is the vampire sheriff of vampire area five in the vampire state of Louisiana. In the books, he has gotten screwed over by his idiot maker, who I am currently hella mad at, because even in the afterlife he is ruining Team Eric’s shot at happiness. In the show, he’s doing okay but he’s kind of still an a-hole. In the books, he always has long Viking hair. In the show, he cut it. Praise Alan Ball or whoever made that decision. I love Charlaine Harris’ work, but for crying out loud, get some haircuts going on. Anyway, he kinda looked like this on the show at first and this is comparable to book Eric, though book Eric’s hair is much longer:







Then, Pam cut his hair and he got even more sexified on the show:



Pros: Eric is pretty much all pros. He is sexy, super sexy. Maybe he’s not as good looking as Alcide or Sam but he is way sexier (ok Alcide is a very, very close second). Yes there is a difference between sexy and hot but that’s for another blog. In the books, I so believe he really cares about Sookie and is a victim of some circumstances that were beyond his control. In the books, they are married and some people seem to be forgetting that ahemMalloryahem. Ok. Ok. They are married under vampire law, but hey vampire law is probably older than human law so that probably makes it count more, not less. You seem to forget Eric tricked Sookie into vampire marrying him, so how legit could it be? Also, when the vampires first came out of the coffin, weren’t we all for vampire equality? If they are married with vampires, to deny this marital bond in the human world is like declaring vampire love to be less real than human love. Love is love and I think we should accept and embrace this because in bookland, Eric and Sookie are in love. Be with the one you love. That may have taken a slight detour. Eric is also a high ranking vampire official and owns his own business, the illustrious, notorious Fangtasia. But what about how being with an entrepreneur can be a strain on your life? He has fought for Sookie and more importantly, he loves her in a not over the top way. Look at him looking at her all adoringly.



Don’t be hatin. Yes there are three pictures of Eric. That’s because Eric is the best. Wasn’t that picture from a dream sequence? On the show, he is also awesome, just not quite as much. He didn’t get sucked in by the vampire alliance or whatever they were. They got Bill but they couldn’t get Eric. That’s because Eric isn’t an idiot moron. See there: beauty and brains.

Cons: What cons? He had a junky maker who bonded him with some vamp tramp in the books which is totally out of his control. But, Sookie offered to run away with Eric and he turned her down. Yes, he claimed it wasn’t safe, but it seems to me like if he loved her more than he loves being a vampire then he would find a way to fight for her. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, he still has one more book to do just that, but I doubt he will. He loves Sookie and that’s why he tricked her into marrying him. Did I say tricked? I meant coerced… that doesn’t sound any better. Listen, she wanted to marry him anyway so who even cares how it happened. Yes she was mad, I know she was, but that’s beside the point. She loves Eric, why would she not want to be with him forever? But she won’t be with him forever. And Eric, like Alcide, is too wrapped up in supernatural politics. Even if he manages to get around marrying the queen of Oklahoma or wherever, I can’t see him giving up all of his power. Especially not for a girl who will only be around for a short time. Sookie broke their blood bond because she wanted to be sure her feelings for him were real, and ever since then, things have gotten worse between them. I think that Eric loves Sookie, but I also think that Eric has not changed from the beginning of the book until now. The only difference between the Eric we met in Dead Until Dark and the Eric from Deadlocked, is that now he loves Sookie. I think of Eric like I think of Damon from Vampire Diaries. They care about who they care about and screw everyone else.
TB Eric is not quite as loving toward Sookie, but that’s because we haven’t gotten as far. Give it time. I’ll be waiting. Eric is also a vampire so he can’t give Sookie kids and she doesn’t want to be a vamp so that’s a little ominous. At a Dragon Con panel one year, Charlaine Harris said she had always known how the series would end. She said the books also took a detour from her original plan after book 3ish (I believe) which was before Sookie and Eric were more than frenemies. Plus, their relationship has been on a downward spiral for the last two books and it’s not looking good for it to rebound. Sookie loves Eric, but sometimes love is not enough (words included in the description of Dead Ever After).

Courtney: TEAM ERIC FOREVER!!!!! I want Eric to win Sookie on the show and in the books. Yes, in the show it’s hard to say that because he doesn’t really love her that much right now, but this isn’t a race about who can love who the fastest. They have forever together. On the flipside, Eric is not going to win in the books, like he’s in last. Know how I know? Because Charlaine Harris basically told me to my face that it wasn’t going to happen and killed my very dreams. By basically, I mean she said that at a DragonCon panel with probably 200 people there, but she was looking in the direction of the crowd, so yeah, she said it to my face. On the show, well who knows really, right now it’s not looking great for him, but I would say he’s second most probable right now.

Mallory: I don’t think Eric will win Sookie in the books. I put him in 3rd place. On the show, I think he still stands a chance. I can see TB Sookie turning into a vampire, which opens up a whole window of opportunities for Eric and Bill. Let it be known that I was Team Eric for a lot of the book series and on the show as well. But as the books are winding down, Eric only seems to make Sookie miserable and she deserves happiness, dang it! If TB Eric steps up his game he could just come out the victor. I think I’d be on board with that. I do like me some bad boys.


Bill Compton: Vampire Bill is a vampire. TB Vampire Bill is like the king of the world or something stupid and is also like the vampire god. It’s all really very stupid and vampire politics bore the hound out of me and cause actual anger in me. Book Bill is more of a vampire database engineer and general neighbor of Sookie’s who was her first love and stuff. He looks like this: 


I know you are again questioning the fairness, but listen, if you haven’t noticed, I’m not about fairness. I will have you know, before you question the ethics of this throwdown yet again, that this is in fact the best pic of Bill I could find. He’s just not that good looking, especially compared to everyone else. This is probably close to what I think book Bill looks like too. Also, Bill (aka Stephen Moyer) is married to Anna Paquin (aka Sookie) in real life so… yeah.

Pros: Book Bill is a lot better than show Bill because he isn’t around as much. Book Bill is also still clearly in love with Sookie even after all this time. He will still fight for her and die to save her. This is admirable I guess. One thing book Bill has in his corner is that he is not completely wrapped up in vampire politics. I think if Sookie asked him to run away with her, he would. TB Bill is powerful.

Cons: Bill is just stupid. He also has stupid hair. In the books, he’s kind of a romantic sap. In the show, he has turned into a power hungry, political juggernaut and vampire god. Bill always has to have a storyline on the show apparently, so the whole vampire politics thing was created just for him. Unlucky everyone who watches the show. The vampire politics storyline is more annoying than the book fairy storyline and that is saying something. TB Bill doesn’t even seem to care about Sookie most of the time unless it will help him become the all great and powerful blood covered whatever he is. I liked show Bill a little better than book Bill until this arc started and now I don’t like either of them. Bill is also a vampire so no little Sookies to run around Bon Temps and wig out the locals, but he is one of those sort of self loathing vampires who is very tortured by his past and his eternal damnation. Broody. It’s not a good look for anyone. No one likes a brooder. Except members of teams Angel, Bill, and Edward… those people are embarrassing. All true on show Bill. As far as book Bill, he just hasn’t been around that much. He and Sookie broke up in book 3 and haven’t been together since. She still cares for him, but hasn’t considered taking him back. She even laid naked on top of him once and never thought, ‘oh, this is nice, I miss this.’ Her choosing Bill at the end would just be lame. He may have been her first love, but in 9 books he’s just been her ex boyfriend who occsaionally helps her out.

Courtney: I predict Bill has the best shot of getting Sookie in the books, mostly because of a statement Charlaine Harris made at DragonCon in 2011. This is seriously devastating. I predict show Bill had the best shot, but now I don’t even know where to put him. However, as far as how much I want Bill to win, he’s in last place on both.

Mallory: I put Bill in 2nd place in book world. Even though he and Sookie have been over for a while and I think she’s mostly over him, his willingness to put her first will get him some points. I predict he will kiss her at least once in the final book, and she may even consider giving him another chance. (Let me just point out how her whole reasoning for dumping him to start with was a bit ridiculous. She overreated big time. Not that I’m complaining cause Bill ranks next to last on my like-o-meter but you know.) But in the end I don’t think she’ll choose him. He’s still dead. Show Bill is just ridiculous. I can’t stand him at all. He’ll probabaly turn his un-life back around and she’ll take him back though cause show Sookie seems to like Bill a whole lot more than book Sookie who, by the way, was never even sure she was in love with Bill. I hope Bill loses all around.


Quinn the Tiger: What was his last name? Anh who cares. Quinn is a weretiger/party planner. He looks like this:
Yeah that’s Mr. Clean… Quinn doesn’t exist in show world, so we have to make do with a close approximation. This is pretty much a dead ringer, except maybe he doesn’t have white eyebrows. That is not to say that he has no eyebrows. He’s not Whoopi Goldberg. Lol.


Pros: He’s a tiger, he’s pretty cool I guess. He could probably give Sookie a fairly normal life. None.

Cons: Where is the drama? Yes drama isn’t always good but we need some spice. Also, Quinn can only turn into a tiger. Not a multitude of things like Sam. Not a scary wolf like Alcide. A tiger. Cause those are native to Louisiana… NOT!!! Sookie doesn’t love him.

Courtney: I’m ok with Quinn. He can win if it’s between him and Bill I guess.

Mallory: I do not like Quinn. He ranks last on my book list. Don’t ask me why but ever since the tiger first licked Sookie on the leg, I did not like him at all. My opinions did not improve. He may be the nicest dude in the world, but if Sookie ends up with him, I’m gonna be exceptionally angry. For one thing, Sookie does not love him. She may care for him and they may have sexual chemistry, but they do not belong together. I feel like Quinn was just a place holder until Sookie finally got with Eric. She always made a big deal out of his family issues, but really that was just an excuse to get rid of him. I’ll even quote him to prove my point.

“Why are you harder on me than on anyone else?” he asked. “I am not,” I said instantly. But then I thought, am I? “Have you asked Eric to give up Fangtasia? Have you asked Bill to give up his computer enterprise? Have you asked Sam to turn his back on his family?” “What…?” I began, trying to work out the connection… “I told you that I wanted to be first with the guy in my life….I haven’t asked Eric to give up Fangtasia. Why would I do that? And where does Sam come into it?” (DAG)

Actually this passage proves two points. First, he is right. She is harder on him and, like I said, I think it’s because she just doesn’t want to be with him. He needs to learn how to take a hint. Secondly, even Quinn noted Sam as an important person in Sookie’s life. J But I digress…


Hoyt Fortenberry: Ooooooohhhhhhh. Got you there didn’t I? No one saw Hoyt coming. I did. Boom! Hoyt is a normal human. He is BFFs with Jason, Sookie’s bro, and he has had steady employment since we have known him. He looks like this on the show and in the books as far as I’m concerned:


Pros: He is a HUMAN!!!!! That means if all the supes would get the heck out of Dodge, and by Dodge I mean Bon Temps, he could truly give Sookie a chance at a normal life. Hoyt is a nice guy. He is best friends with Sookie’s brother Jason, and he works, so that’s awesome. Hoyt should be considered a contender.

Cons: He’s a HUMAN!!! Lame. Really, did you see Alcide’s 14 pack? Did you see Eric looking sexy as everything? Hoyt. Bless his heart. Also, in the show, he keeps getting into debacles. Plus, Sookie could hear his thoughts and junk and that would not make for good whoopee.

Courtney: On the show and in the books, Hoyt has no chance at winning. I wish he would win in the books and in the show but only as opposed to like Bill or something.

Mallory: No, just no. Humans are out for Sookie. Didn’t book Hoyt have a girlfriend? I’ll admit show Hoyt deserves some love, but not from Sookie.


And now for some eye candy and humor to close out our blog.


So because Jason can’t be a contender, we shouldn’t look at shirtless pictures of him? That’s why there are no rules here. You are welcome.












This makes me LAL. Laugh at Layfayette. Big ups to whoever made this photo.








Comments

Popular Posts