Tuesday Tune-In- Kacey Musgraves

Tuesday Tune-in is a new segment where we will review music, probably whole albums. We are kicking this off with Kacey Musgraves' album "Same Trailer. Different Park."

I am going into this album with pretty low expectations. I have heard the single "Merry Go 'Round" and don't care for it, but more on that later. I don't mind Kacey's voice and think she has a pretty good one. I also heard a brief interview with her and she seems like a cool girl. I just so far don't like her music.

1. "Silver Lining"- This song is basically about making the best out of a bad situation which you are seemingly always in. Overall, this song has decent backing music and the lyrics are ok. However, I'm not a huge fan of the song as I still find it slightly depressing. I don't mind depressing as in 'I lost the one true love i will ever have or can't have the one true love I want,' but just real world depressing is not my thing.
Silver Lining...s Playbook? Depressing in a good way. 



2. "My House"- This song is about going around the nation in a mobile home. The backing track and the way Kacey sings it put me in mind of older country music. This song is ok. I don't really dig the throwback feel in conjunction with this song. However, there are a few humorous moments and I feel like this song could possibly grow on me.

3. "Merry Go 'Round"- This song is almost a rehash to me of Tracy Lawrence's "Time Marches On" which I liked at one time; then, it got to be too depressing and I couldn't take it anymore. The irony of this song is, there is nothing merry about it. Nor does she ever mention a horse. What gives? I was expecting a fun filled song about a fairground favorite. Not so my friend. I don't like the thought that the American family, or especially the Southern American family, has to fit this song. I am definitely not saying it does. As a southerner, I know lots of people want to leave. Fine. Do what you need to do to leave. There is nothing wrong with settling down in a southern town and it doesn't have to be this bleak picture of depression that this song paints it to be. I know this is for another blog, but the south can so often be depicted as a place full of unintelligent people who lead mundane lives. We don't need any help perpetuating that stereotype from a fellow southerner. Though at least Kacey is a southerner and she has a right to sing this song. For a lot of people, this song is a true story unfortunately. I just don't want to hear about it.

4. "Dandelion"-This song is about wishing on a dandelion, which is a metaphor for putting your faith in a man who left you. Apparently, the boy is gone and she is heartbroken and she wishes she had never put her faith in him. She seems to be so depressed that she is giving up all hopes and knows that wishing on a dandelion or any other symbol of luck is a waste of time because nothing will ever go her way. I guess this is a good break up song. However, giving up all hopes and dreams and wishes just because some dude did you wrong is not a good way to live. This song is also depressing (are we seeing a recurring theme here?) and I don't really dig it.

5. "Blowin' Smoke"- This song is about a waitress who left town and all the other waitresses are talking about leaving too as they puff on their cigs but are really blowing smoke in more ways than one. Another great snapshot of southern town USA. NOT!!! I think this song is better than its predecessors, and in fact it has grown on me in the two times I have listened to it. It also has a biting sense of humor (I'm also sensing this as a recurring theme with Kacey).

6. "I Miss You"- this is about running into an ex when everything is going well... except for the fact that you still miss them. I like this song. It's a little peppy for the true meaning and some of the lyrics could lead you astray, but that's why you have to pay attention. The backing music on this is old school country and western too. It seems like it has a good bit of steel guitaring in it (hey I never claimed to be a music expert)

7. "Step Off"- this song is about bringing people who are uppity back down to earth a little bit. You don't need people telling you how to live your life and bringing their negativity into your life. I like this song to a certain extent. The music is slow and the lyrics are decent, but to me it sounds like a lazier version of a Miranda Lambert song. I do like this though because there are several people that need to be told to step off. The way Kacey sings makes it difficult to assess what the song would sound like with a more angry backing track and louder vocals a la "Gunpowder and Lead" or  "Mama's Broken Heart" (which Kacey cowrote by the way). I feel like this song could be sassier, but as all good southerners know, you can call someone a yellow-bellied, lying, cheating, son-of-a-gun and tell them where they can go and make it sound like the biggest compliment they ever got.

8. "Back On The Map"- This song is about feeling lost because your love is gone. This song is good. It is depressing in a good way and I like it. The backing music combines with the lyrics to give us a good sense of the loss that is being felt. Kacey sounds like she needs someone to lead her back to reality because she's just been wandering. On the whole, this song reminds me of someone from a television show I watch (Vampire Diaries) and that adds charm to it because I care  about him and know he feels this way sometimes. Yes, I'm talking about Damon.

9. "Keep It To Yourself"- This song is reminiscent of "Last Call" by LeeAnn Womack and "Why You Wanna" by Jana Kramer. I like this song too. The backing music is slow enough to make us realize that she still loves him, but not so slow to make us think she is desperate to have him back. She does want him back, she does still love him, but she doesn't need to hear that he still wants her or loves her because she knows it isn't true. This also has a slight "Alone with You" by Jake Owen feel. You know if he called and told her all that stuff, she would believe him and then he would hurt her again. This is why this is a good song because we all want to believe when we know it's best not to.

10. "Stupid"- This song is about love being stupid and all the stupid stuff people do when they fall in and out of love. This has a pretty powerful backing track and Kacey finally releases her inner badass. She's getting down on this song and that makes it another good song on this album. This song reminds me of Miranda in a good way. She is showing the world who is boss and talking about how stupid love is... and it can be so stupid sometimes.

11. "Follow Your Arrow"- This song is sort of like that Eleanor Roosevelt quote "Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." Basically, it is saying that it doesn't matter what you do because someone isn't going to like it and will criticize you for it. This is in alignment with my new life philosophy to do things that may be outside my comfort zone because on the whole I will become more confident (though if I get much more confident I might become arrogant haha). This is a cool song and I dig it. The backing music is bouncy enough to inspire confidence and what not and let you know its a happy song.

12. "It Is What It Is"- This song is sort of like a friends with benefits anthem. I might love you, I might not, but hey stay over anyway and we'll sort out the consequences later. Backing music is throwback country again with a lot of steel guitar, like the dancing music they would play in bars in modern cowboy movies. I like this song too. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe because it is slightly noncommittal and I like that. Either way, this song is good. 


Well, on the whole, I would say Kacey has put a nice album together. It didn't start off well. The first four songs were not my cup of tea, but the last eight started getting better and there were a few that were really good. I think "Back On The Map" is my favorite though I also really like "Keep It To Yourself." Overall, it is a good listen (maybe skip the first four) and I was pleasantly surprised. I am glad this turned out well as we will be seeing Kacey in concert when the No Shoes Nation tour stops in Atlanta. Now, I'll probably get drinks and snacks between her set and the next one instead of during it like I had planned to. Good work Kacey!

-Courtney

Comments

Popular Posts